Wat Arun Rajwararam, originally known as Wat Chaeng, was part of the palace compound during the reign of King Rama 1. The temple was left abandoned for a long period until King Rama II restored it and extended the pagoda to cover 70 metres. The temple initially enshrined the emerald Buddha statue before it was transferred to the Emerald Buddha Temple in Bangkok in 1785. Wat Arun Rajwararam or the Temple of Dawn, is named after Aruna, the Indian God of Dawn. The Wat Arun is considered one of the most well known of Thailand's many landmarks.